BS 8878 web accessibility standards (supersedes PAS 78) – all you need to know
BS 8878 Web Accessibility Code of Practice is a process-oriented standard enabling organisations to:
- understand why digital inclusion and accessibility makes good business sense
- embed inclusion responsibility strategically across key job-roles, and into key policies
- follow a standard user-centred production process which identifies the key decisions which impact inclusion which are taken in a web product’s lifecycle
- adopt an informed way of making these decisions
- adopt a way of documenting these decisions to provide a log which can be used for assessing accessibility risk and proving conformance with BS 8878
- synchronise these activities with similar processes for the inclusive design of non-digital products
While other WAI web accessibility standards concentrate on the technical, design or testing elements of accessibility, BS 8878 puts those important activities in a framework to ensure all aspects of an organisation’s activities which impact inclusion are covered. These include: procurement and selection of production tools and CMSes; outsourcing production to third-parties; project management of inclusive production; assessment of accessibility risk and impact on budgets; and governance of inclusion across a programme of web production projects.
Quick summary of BS 8878′s process in 88 seconds
Detailed summary of BS 8878
Recent BS 8878 news
- Does web accessibility really "place ruinous obligations on websites"? - analysis of Internet Association brief
- Paralympics 2012: paralympic legacy, inclusion and accessibility
- Paralympics 2012: Do you have to be 'superhuman' to be an inspiration?
- How to write an effective Accessibility Statement
- Accessibility goes mainstream: creating effective websites through BS 8878, Wordpress & Website In 1 Day
- Case studies of implementing BS 8878 - CSUN 12 presentation
- BS 8878 in 88 seconds - a lightning summary of the Standard
- Building accessibility strategy into the culture of an organization: find out more about BS 8878 at CSUN 2012
Implementing BS 8878 blogs
- Ready to launch? How BS 8878 helped this SME's website get off the ground
- Implementing BS 8878 step 2: Accessible to whom? Audiences, trade-offs and Inclusive design
- Implementing BS 8878 step 3: user research to find the size and needs of your web product’s audiences
BS 8878 training and consultancy
While a number of organisations advertise BS 8878 training, we believe Professor Jonathan Hassell is the best person to train you in it, as he is the lead author of the standard and chair of its drafting committee at the British Standards Institute.
He has presented on BS 8878 internationally, is working with numerous organisations on case-studies of BS 8878′s use, and has trained people in the standard from organisations including: BBC, Royal Mail, Post Office, Allianz, AbilityNet, Lloyds Banking Group, DirectGov, HM Revenue & Customs, PWC, UBS, Central Office of Information, Microlink, Ecliptic Labs, Big Lottery Fund, ICT Qatar, and QNB Global.
Find out more about BS 8878 training and consultancy.
BS 8878 tools
Tools to make implementing BS 8878 easier will be available from this page shortly.
How to join communities of organisations implementing BS 8878
Two online communities exist to support organisations who are interesting in implementing BS 8878:
- BS 8878 Community of Practice on meetup.com:
This is a place where people using BS 8878 to help them embed accessibility in their organisations or products can find a community of others like them, and the people who wrote BS 8878 in the first place. It’s a place where questions about how to apply the standard in real decision making can be asked, and for discussion of the issues and thinking behind these decisions. This happens online and via face to face meet-ups, which are arranged online on subjects which community members find most challenging or important.
- BS 8878 discussion group on linked-in:
This is another place where you can discuss BS 8878 and related accessibility issues.
Get BS 8878
Note on BS 8878′s link with PAS 78
BS 8878 are the web accessibility standards that evolved from, and replaced, the preceding specification PAS 78, which was the first attempt to provide guidance to non-technical website owners for the whole process of commissioning and producing websites, commissioned by the Disability Rights Commission (DRC) and published by the British Standards Institution in 2006.
You can find more information on the links and differences between BS 8878 and PAS 78 at British Accessibility Standards – PAS-78 to BS8878.